Sunday 5 July 2015

Adopt Not Shop- The Story of Spike and Cassie.

So as I mentioned in my previous blog post we sadly lost our much loved rescue pup Murphy back in March. As devastating and traumatic as that time was it definitely didn't stop us wanting more pets, specifically those from rescue shelters. 

Richard and I had many a long chat and decided that we really didn't want to get 'used' to not having a dog. The routine is one of the hardest parts of losing a dog- having something to care for, get up for, exercise, feed and prioritise is hard to quit. As much as we would both love to have a puppy we decided that we weren't quite at a stage of our lives yet where we could give a puppy the care, attention and training it needs whilst both in full time employment.

So the search began for another fantastic rescue pooch. We both agreed that we would really love to have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier again not only for their affectionate nature but also because of the enormous number left in shelters across the country. We used the Pets4Homes app to search for dogs, which proved to be invaluable in connecting with rescue shelters from far and wide. We were looking for quite some time but as lovely as the dogs were nothing quite struck our heartstrings quite like Murphy had.

One day however on my hundredth check of the app I stumbled across two adorable dogs called Spike and Cassie. I fell in love instantly. They sounded perfect and the more I looked, the more I knew I had to have them. The only catch? They were all the way in Rotherham some two and a half hours away. My heart sank and I carried on searching, convinced that they would never be ours. 


Fortunately for me I have a super partner in crime who convinced me that if we were willing to go an hour and a half for one dog why not two and a half for two? We sat down, worked out the maths and how much more work we would have to do with two woofers rather than one and made the decision to take the plunge. During this time I had been in contact with one of the ladies who was responsible for caring for the dogs at the shelter who spoke incredibly highly of the two of them and made recommendations for their successful transition.

The date was booked, the car was full of petrol and the playlist was made. The trip there was full of excitement and nerves. What if they didn't like us? Fortunately they did- as soon as we went in their kennel they were jumping up in excitement, covering us with kisses. We took them for a walk and the longer we were with them, the more we knew we couldn't leave them behind. We got back to the shelter and had the opportunity to play with them in a huge enclosure, which allowed us more time to bond with them. We then met the shelter owner, who was thrilled that someone had finally taken an interest in the pair of them rather than just one. She told me that had we not liked them and taken them they would have been separated because it was just too hard to rehome them together. The idea of them not being together broke my heart and still does to this day. 

With all the paperwork sorted, a picture to mark the happy occasion and all of the staff saying their begrudging farewells we were back on the road once more. I must say the dogs were absolutely fantastic in the car, something Murphy had not been, in fact he screamed the whole way home and ate two of my seat belts. Spike and Cassie however settled down with Richard in the back of the car and were as good as gold the whole journey and have been ever since.



When I talk about rescuing Spike and Cassie I always get asked the same thing- "so what's their story?" Well their story is a sad one. Spike and Cassie had a home together but they didn't receive the love, care and attention they needed as two young, energetic dogs. Their owner was a single man and worked away a lot, with no one else to care for them. Soon he realised he couldn't care for them and when no one else could take them in he took them to be put to sleep. Fortunately for us, the rescue centre stepped in and took them into care, free of charge and worked hard to keep them together until they could find their forever home. Thankfully they've found it.



I cannot express how much I believe in the 'adopt, don't shop' campaign. We have had three amazing dogs that have come from rescue shelters and I have a feeling that we will rescue again. 

I feel an immense sense of pride when I think of how much we have changed the lives of Murphy, Cassie and Spike and I don't mean that in a selfish way. I don't mean it at all in a 'oh wow I rescued some dogs and that makes me a good person' kind of way. I mean it in regards to the wellbeing and the lives of the dogs themselves. Murphy had been at the shelter for a long time and prior to that he was at the pound and before that we believe he was used as a fighting dog. Although his time with us was fairly short we gave him the best possible home to pass away with love and dignity. Spike and Cassie, however much they were loved and cared for at the shelter, hated being in kennels surrounded by other distressed dogs. Seeing how well they have settled here and how much love they have for us is really gratifying in knowing we did the best thing for them.



We've had them seven weeks today and we can't imagine life without them. They have the most incredible personalities and their relationship together is fantastic. As true siblings should, they love winding each other up! I also love how different they are to Murphy. They are mischievous, energetic and totally bonkers. Seeing them makes me realise how lucky we were with Murphy and his behaviour.  Murphy was the kind of dog who you told to do something and he'd do it, you'd teach him something and he'd remember it. These guys? Well let's just say it's a work in progress...



Want to see more of Spike and Cassie? Why not check out their Instagram hashtag? Just type #adventuresofspikeandcassie or follow me here

1 comment:

  1. Good blog post, very informative. Keep writing. Kudos!! Thanks for sharing My website: Glass Splashback Colours UK

    ReplyDelete