Monday 21 April 2014

Ashridge Woods

So I had this idea in my head and no it wasn't anything crazy or hugely adventurous but I am one of those people who once they have something in their head they can't do anything else. 

My plan was to take a trip to Ashridge Woods, somewhere I haven't been to for years and a place I used to spend plenty of time as a child. I used to love taking a drive there and explore the woodland, maybe even stop for a picnic and take lots of exciting artefacts home such as leaves and fir cones. That really was my childhood and I have fond memories of it. But since moving house I haven't been back to see its development or take a stroll and no matter how many times I mentioned it, more and more time past without taking a trip.

So today Richard and I took that trip to Ashridge Park. Richard too has fond memories of the woods having spent many days there with his family exploring and even his Grandad's ashes are there. So it felt like a good time to go whilst we both had some time off and the weather seemed half decent... or so we thought.

The woodland is renowned for it's incredible bluebell displays that lay hidden deep in the forest and we were fortunate enough to visit at the right time of year to see these in all their glory. The park itself was heaving. There were queues to both get in and to park but we found a nice secluded spot and headed off into the wilderness, avoiding the crowds that were flocking to take part in the Easter Egg hunt that the National Trust had put on for visitors...


We headed off down a beaten track armed with our trusty frisbee, taking care not to knock the head off an innocent walker and sure to catch it before a mad dog did. You really could spend weeks exploring these woods and you could see something different each time and I don't think you could ever really see everything. We saw many beautiful patches of bluebells and spotted some spectacular views from our hike...




Richard and I rarely 'think' to take pictures when we go out, mostly relying on other people to do the job for us but looking round at the beauty of the woodland I decided it would be a crime not to...




I must admit I loved catching a break from the hassle of work and home and just getting out in the countryside. Sometimes all you need is a good long walk and a bit of hand holding to realise the couple that's hiding beneath all of the drama of every day life.

Just as we seemed furthest away from the car and thought we should probably head back, the first few spots of rain started. We played it cool but soon enough the heavens opened and we got soaked. I mean, imagine jumping in a pool with all of your clothes and shoes on- then think about being wetter than that! That is just how wet and cold we were. As if the rain wasn't bad enough the hail started and there was not a sheltered spot in sight. Neither of us were prepared for this sudden change in weather, with Richard in just a tshirt, jeans and trainers and me in a top, blazer, skinny jeans and booties. We were soaked through and the rain was so intense it made it hard to see and hard to breathe from the cold. 



We blindly managed to make it back to the car with our speed walking and it was a case of fumbling to put the heating on and hurriedly putting on our hoodies which we had wisely left in the car. Warm clothes never felt so good. If it was a battle to get into the car park, it was a war to get out, with everyone evacuating after the storm. We eventually made it back home, sopping wet and helped each other out of our shoes. Richard even had to pull of my jeans off which were stuck to my legs and refusing to budge. All that was left to do was get into our most comfiest clothes and whack everything else in the washing machine.

Next time, maybe I will suggest an activity that is a little drier or perhaps I'll just keep my mouth shut...

To find out more about Ashridge Estate or to take a trip visit the National Trust website.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Haha! It is not one I intend on modelling often, don't you go getting any ideas!

      Delete