Monday 3 November 2014

Devilishly Destructive Delights Reviews: Tesco Simply

I have a secret. A savvy shoppers secret that up until now I had been able to contain. However after my last purchase I decided I simply couldn't hide it any more and have decided to share it. This secret is the Tesco Simply range which can be found in their frozen department of most stores. Why am I so excited over frozen meat? Well, it tastes delicious and makes an excellent, cheap meal.

I love a good roast but to my mind the meat is expensive. Quite often I put off making a roast dinner or even looking at the meat in stores, instead settling for the same cheap cuts of meat time and time again. However I recently found whilst doing a Tesco shop that I could have a more exciting piece of meat, perfect for two, for half the price I would normally find in the chilled section. Hardly daring to believe it I decided to give Tesco Simply Brisket a try and I must say I am thrilled I did, so much so that the following week I went back to try another item in their range and indeed the following week too. 

So what makes this meat so good and so cheap? Surely you can taste the difference? Well that's what I thought too when I glanced at the small box which apparently contained an entire meal. I was wrong however. The brisket which came frozen in a plastic bag was tipped into a Pyrex dish, forgotten about for an hour and then before my eyes turned into a melt in the mouth sensation. A perfect meal with minimal effort. And do you want to know the best bit? All this only set me back £5.75! I didn't even have to make the accompanying sauce nor did I need to have a slow cooker to make the meat as tender as it was. It was perfect and left Richard and I amazed. 


Next we tried the gammon after having a lovely piece from Asda previously. Again it came in a small box, frozen and ready to throw in the oven and again we had great results. Succulent meat, packed full of flavour and this time it was only £5. Now I am ordinarily hard pressed to try and find gammon steaks for that price let alone a joint complete with garnish. 



And finally last night we treated ourselves to pork shoulder. Pork shoulder?! I can't think of a time when I have eaten this out, let alone in the luxury of my own home. This took just over an hour to cook and was served with mash potato, brussel sprouts and carrots along with gravy using the meat juices and it was beautiful. The meat was tender and the barbecue sauce to accompany it was delicious. All of this for just £3.50. Now at that price you would assume it was a tough old bit of meat but I can honestly say it was one of the nicest bit of pork I had ever eaten, something Richard also vouched for.


It's amazing to think that meat and meals that would originally have been completely out of our price range can be made so affordable and so easy each week which is why I have written this post. There really is no excuse for having a poor meal. You can't argue on price, you can't argue on quality and you can't even say you don't have the time because these can be cooked in a microwave in a matter of minutes! Supermarkets are also decreasing the prices of many vegetables at the minute, with a bag of carrots setting me back only 89p and they can last for a good couple of meals. Want to bulk it out? Get stuffing, potatoes or even more vegetables to pile onto your plates. You'll be amazed at how far the meat will go.

So I emplore you to get out of your boring shopping habits and take a trip down to the frozen aisle to see what bargains can be found, that not only will save you time, effort and money but will also taste amazing too! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment