Thursday 24 July 2014

You only turn 21 once...

Continuing on with the theme of generosity and gift giving, I ended up celebrating my impending 21st birthday early yesterday thanks to my colleagues. 

My day started as every day does- getting to work far too early and passing the time by sitting in a quiet classroom drinking tea in the hope it might wake me up, whilst also reminding myself to leave later the following day (I never do). Working on the last few days at school are as pointless as attending them as a child so I was all set for another mundane day of tidying, sorting and ensuring that the children remembered all the things they normally walk off and forget. At no point did it occur to me that I might be receiving presents or cards for my birthday that takes place over the Summer break. Although I love having a Summer birthday the downside has always been that I showered my friends in gifts but they would always forget to do the same by the time we broke up for the school holidays. With this in mind I hardly expected to have a surprise waiting for me quite the way my colleagues did...

Unbeknown to me I followed the children into a classroom expecting to go into assembly only to find the entire year group of children sitting down waiting for me and all of my team members surrounding them. After a big (and rather delayed) cry of 'SURPRISE' from the children and mistaking my new age for 22 I was soon made to stand in front of everyone and open my cards and gift. I was instructed to open the carefully made scroll first which turned out to be an incredible trip to the Shard for two in London. 



I then opened a card and it was full of money to spend in London on things such as travel, lunch and even a spot of bubbly which was encouraged by all of the ladies. I was overwhelmed by everyone's generosity and kind words, particularly as this trip was something I was desperate to do and had mentioned was expensive.



I was shaking after the shock of the surprise and the amazing gift. I never realised how hard it was to open a card under pressure either!






All of the children and staff sang Happy Birthday to me too as I blew out the singing candles on my huge chocolate birthday cake covered in chocolate curls. Of course I had many children ask for a slice and when told no they decided to stand around me and make me feel uncomfortable while I stuffed my face.


There were plenty of cuddles and thank you's going round from me and the children had made me pictures and badges that I just had to see and wear. I was under strict instructions to wear the badges all day which obviously drew the attention to me from staff and children as I made my way around the school and carried out my lunch duty.


As if these presents and cards weren't enough the classroom had to be decorated too and I just had to have a shot next to all of the tack!


The surprises didn't end there either. I collected all of my gifts and awkwardly headed out to the car only to find that it had been vandalised with all of the tack! Hearing fits of laughter behind me I turned to see two members of my team who had followed me to see my reaction. In the birthday girl spirit I threw my things in the boot and drove out in style!





It's safe to say it was certainly the noisiest journey I have ever had, with the balloons popping and banging against the car and the numerous beeps and cheers I had as I drove home. To top it off I had to get Richard to take off the balloons on my left wing mirror because they had been tied so tightly. 

With friends like these, who needs enemies...

No comments:

Post a Comment