Thursday 17 April 2014

Keep Calm, It's Only Summer...

I've got that summertime, summertime sadness. 

Actually I feel this way in every season. I feel lost. I feel as though I have lost my way with my wardrobe and the ability to dress myself. This is a feeling I know is shared by my mother. Every now and again, normally when we go shopping together in an excitable fashion, we become disheartened, head to a coffee shop and proceed to winge over the style choices of the season and how nothing looks right nor fits. 

I don't feel ready for Summer, the same way I wasn't prepared for Spring, Autumn or Winter and now I feel us hurtling towards the warm weather and I haven't got the foggiest idea what to leave the house in other than a brown paper bag.

The big statement in shops at the minute is prints and pastels, which is great if you can pull those off but for the rest of us who feel like a wally in anything close to those, it leaves us with a great dilemma.

Looking through my wardrobe at the minute I feel utterly confused. Sure there is a lot in there but the vast majority of it I have had for at least three years if not more and it is beginning to feel rather well worn. Anything vaguely new, seems to be pulled out time and time again to the point where I am sick to death of seeing it. I then also face the problem of finding an outfit that would look great together but feel as though a part of it is missing, like the right colour top or the right style of shoes.

This sets me out on a mission. A mission to get over my hatred of a certain type of shopping- shoes and trousers. I can't stand searching for these. Give me any other kind of shopping, even food shopping and I will be up for the challenge. But shoes and trousers. No. The simple fact is I have a complicated body shape; tall and thin with absolute no waist but such long legs that if I were to find a pair of trousers that fitted they would probably be about three inches too short. Then we move onto shoes. I also have odd feet- long and thin which like to trick me when I am in a shop into believing I have found a pair of shoes that fit only for me to get home and find that I was sadly mistaken. I have spent many years blaming the shops and their bizarre sizing but now I am beginning to wonder if it is the sad old case of "it's not me, it's you".

However these glaringly obvious problems aside, I have decided to brave the inevitable disappointment and looking into getting some sort of order to my Summer wardrobe and daring to look at things I ordinarily would avoid. Here are some of the things I have been looking at in the trousers and shoes department...



One | Two | Three

So last year I ordered a set of chinos and they didn't fit at all around the waist, you could easily have got another person in there with me. They however didn't have a belt and weren't as good quality as these ones so I am hoping it will be second time lucky, either that or I will have to head over the the children's department. I wish I could say I am kidding but genuinely I still buy some of my clothes from there just so it might actually have a chance of fitting. 

Like I said, prints are really fashionable at the minute and if you want any form of trousers you have to have some with a pattern it would seem. I really like this print and I think with so many colours in the pattern you have a great chance of finding plenty to go with them. I think I might have to order this top too.

Finally the ever so reliable linen trousers have popped up in a few stores and I must say these were quite the rage a few years back. I missed out on buying some at the time but have always been a fan. I think they would look great for work but also be casual enough to wear with sandals on a warm Summer's day. I think I would stick to the darker shades though because no one wants the hassle of finding appropriate underwear to wear with the white ones.


One | Two | Three | Four

I used to adore wearing pumps because they were comfortable and practical especially for work, but since realising I just can't trust my feet to stay the same size I now have to choose shoes that offer support and strapping. I like this pair from Forever21 because they are the closest thing for me to a pair of pumps and look really comfortable.

For the first time last year I found a pair of sandals I actually loved wearing to the extent that I felt I could show off my feet in public (I really do hate feet, particularly my own). These amazing sandals were from Forever21 and they have lasted so well given how much use I've had out of them. I am braving the prospect of buying some more and have found two pairs that I like, I think my favourite have to be the leaf ones from Deichmann. 

I am also on the look out this year for a pair of really comfortable wedges. I don't want anything too high because I would really like to wear them to work and I do so much walking I would probably kill my feet. So far I am settled on these, also from Deichmann, which would do the job nicely and look as though they have soft soles.

I think I am on my way to braving the shops to hunt down a Summer wardrobe, wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment