Friday 11 April 2014

And so the obsession continues...

So I made it abundantly clear in my last post that I enjoy nothing more than fantasising about my dream home and all the things I would fill it with. 

I don't think I made it clear just how obsessed I am over it. About 98% of the television I watch (and I would just like to point out I don't watch an awful lot of it, mostly just in the evenings after a long day of trying not to impale myself with a pencil after the stress of teaching a child to write their name) is that of home improvements. Grand Designs, Homes Under The Hammer, Sarah Beeny's Selling Houses, Amanda Lamb's Selling Houses, Sarah Beeny's Double Your House For Half The Money, Phil Spencer: Secret Agent, Location, Location, Location, Kirstie's Vintage Home, Kirstie's Homemade Home, Kirstie's Handmade Britain, Kirstie's Best of Both World's, George Clarke's Amazing Spaces, Restoration Man to name but a few.

This obsession has now extended beyond that of television to actually commuting to visit exhibitions and events to get even more inspiration not to mention envy.

Back in October last year my sister and I took the plunge and went to Grand Designs Live at the NEC in Birmingham.


We had a fantastic day and particularly enjoyed looking at all of the interesting stalls that had innovative ideas and products for the home. I also liked picking up all of the freebies much to my sisters embarrassment.





I must admit we zoned out when it got the building side of the exhibition which was a blur of insulation, guttering and windows but my faith was restored when we reached the food court. 


We also managed to catch some of a debate on sustainable housing for the future and listened to the wonderful George Clarke give his take on the real problems with housing today.


I even got to see a pimped up camper van...


Not satisfied enough with our adventure to Birmingham, Kayleigh and I vowed to see even more. I remembered reading something about the Ideal Home Show and after a quick Google search realised there was a show taking place in a couple of months time in London. Kayleigh booked the tickets and on Sunday 30th March (yes Mother's Day, we ditched our Mum to go and look at dreamy homes) we were off to Earl's Court. 

We took the train from Leagrave to St Pancras but not before we dashed over to the amazing Kings Cross Station to get a quick snap at Platform 9 3/4. Unfortunately I didn't make it past the barrier and therefore would not be attending Hogwarts this time.  




The Ideal Home Show had more to offer us than Grand Designs Live did in that there was a lot less of the boring building and a lot more of the gorgeous homeware. We were fortunate enough to get there before it was supposed to have opened which meant it was practically empty and that gave us the chance to snoop around before the masses of people turned up. 


The show certainly didn't scrimp on the displays that's for sure. The entire court was kitted out with fake grass and had huge pieces of art such as these giant vases full of lamps and huge lamp shades hanging from the ceiling decorated with various loud prints.


 


The event definitely dished out plenty of inspirational ideas with their amazing model homes which boasted a very warm and inviting feel. All seemed to have a similar theme- Scotland. Every room we visited, every different home we saw, offered this look  and shared the same values and patterns such as log burners, tartan prints, thistles and highland cattle. The mix of old and new certainly worked and I left with leaflets on each home and room we visited.















I also love interactive pieces that the stores and stalls have on offer. I had to get in on the act with this giant frame which was on display at an antique frame stall which oddly enough was owned by a woman who lives in the neighbouring town to me. Such a small world...


We did the typical British thing and took along our own little picnic after refusing to pay the extortionate prices (we thought £2.25 for a very small cup of average tasting tea was quite enough thank you very much). This was an example of one of the very fancy restaurants they had on offer which had practically no one in it. I think a main course was over £20 and the portions were not enough to feed an average sized person.
 

They had various demonstrations on all day including cooking with famous chefs and DIY with that bloke off of Ground Force, which proved very popular.


As you can see there was plenty on offer at the Ideal Home Show and although we didn't actually bump into any 'celebrities' as we did at Grand Designs (we actually bumped into Kevin McCloud and just as we were about to ask him for a picture he told the crowd that he had done quite enough of that and wanted to be left alone- yes he really is as grumpy as he appears on telly) we still had an excellent time.


So Kayleigh, what is next on our cards? Stalking George Clarke?


No comments:

Post a Comment