Saturday 3 May 2014

New Beginnings

So this morning I set my alarm and went to work. Yes on a Saturday. Yes after a full weeks work and yes this was self inflicted. Working at the weekend was a new phenomenon for me and not a habit I will be taking up every week.  

The reason for this madness was mostly due to my own curiosity and word of mouth. I had been tipped off about a fantastic scheme that sets up arts and craft classes across the country for babies and children to take part in. I was immediately interested- to me there is nothing better than getting messy! I've loved paints and crayons ever since I can remember and even when I made a mess and my Mum declared I was never allowed paint again, I wasn't deterred. This is something that has carried on into adulthood and probably one of the reasons I was so keen to work with children.

I further explored this organisation and immediately wanted to be a part of it and luckily for me the woman I babysit for managed to get me in with one of the franchisees and today was my first day of being a part of the Creation Station experience. Today's task- to be an arts and craft party assistant for a five year old's birthday. 

I headed out of the house bright and alarmingly early for a Saturday morning, donning a pair of dark glasses to hide my exhausted eyes...


After meeting up with the party leader we managed to navigate ourselves around the abyss that is Milton Keynes and it's many roundabouts and found the village hall that would host our mess. I was feeling quite nervous by this point. First days are always filled with the unknown but thanks to a brilliant and thorough briefing I felt fully prepared for the days itinerary, all I needed to do was, well do it. 

We set up the hall which involved me showing my muscles and setting up the heavy tables, chairs and boxes of art resources. I then greeted the children one by one and got to grips with their names before we started the days activities which included colouring their own party bags,  decorating a chest, making clay sculptures and beading key rings. 

I worked non-stop; setting up activities, supporting children, tidying up, washing resources and lots more. That being said I had a fantastic time and it definitely confirmed that I really need to get involved in the more creative side of my career. The children (not to mention the parents) had a brilliant time and anyone who says that this sort of party is just for girls is very much mistaken. Although two of the boys were very nervous- in fact one just cried and moaned the whole time, made his Dad do all the activities and just generally seemed more interested in picking his nose than joining in, the other soon overcame his anxiety and actually made an amazing clay dinosaur. The parents too got stuck in and messy and were impressed with how calm the whole affair was, saying it was the most relaxed and engaging children's party they had been too. With such great feedback and lovely comments I am hopeful that they too will choose to have one of our parties or take part in the classes on offer.

As for me? Well I have definitely caught the Creation Station bug and am all set to help out more in the future. I have even been offered a job with the party leader when she moves on and sets up her own individual arts and crafts business. Not bad for a days work aye...



To find out more about Creation Station and to see classes on offer in your area check out their website here.



No comments:

Post a Comment